About Me

My photo
U23 cyclist riding for Awol O'Shea, supported by Pedal Potential and Loughborough Cycling Academy.

Friday 12 June 2020

2020 taking a turn for the worst

The last time I wrote a blog I was talking about my winter training and my plans for the 2020 race season, since then it's fair to say A LOT has changed. It does feel like a lifetime ago I was packing up my stuff from University and driving home unsure whether I will be back before September.

Three months on from the start of lockdown it's pretty clear there won't be much of a race season. However, despite no races I feel I have really reflected on why I decided to ride a bike. I've started to get that enjoyment and appreciation of being able to get out cycling that I seemed to have lost a few months before. I feel that if the whole pandemic hadn't occurred perhaps I would have gone into the race season not very confident and enthusiastic. Although what has happened is awful, it's definitely allowed me to take a few steps back and understand why I ride a bike. It's made me motivated and enjoy cycling more than ever as It's one of the very few things we have been able to do throughout this pandemic. I think the only racing we might get this year are some TTs, and I have been very lucky to be provided with a TT bike from Loughborough this year, so I will be starting some TT preparation soon in hope that some local events go ahead.

It's also been nice to be back at home with my family riding round roads I am much more familiar with, and are a whole lot more scenic and quieter. It's definitely been a challenge being in lockdown in a family of six, my parents are still working and my siblings are doing school work, so in a way getting on my bike has also been a escapism from the chaos at home. My family have been very supportive with training and seeing my brother getting out has definitely motivated me to continue training.

It has been a challenge being away from friends, racing and other stuff I would have been doing. I have found myself looking back on memories of last summer and earlier on the year, but I know my situation could be a whole lot worse. I would like to thank Pedal Potential, Loughborough performance and Jadan for their continued support throughout the pandemic, and I'm looking forward to it being over and racing returning.

Thanks for reading,
stay alert ;)
Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment

August Updates

 This month has been quite a busy one! I started the month of with a week of chilling and training at home after coming back from Kreiz Brei...