About Me

My photo
U23 cyclist riding for Awol O'Shea, supported by Pedal Potential and Loughborough Cycling Academy.

Monday 29 March 2021

Not an ideal winter...

With races finally appearing around the corner, I have not had the winter training preparation I would have liked but unfortunately it’s just one of those things.

Throughout my cycling career I have suffered on and off back pain, but as a cyclist I thought it was something quite normal. However in January I started to suffer to the point I was struggling standing to do things like cook. I was in so much pain. I got to the point I realised there was no way I could cope with 16-20 hour training weeks, so I reached out for help in Loughborough cycling academy. Initially it was quite difficult getting seen for bike fits and proper help due to coronavirus precautions, but last week I had a bike fit and a mobility assessment. 

It was discovered I have quite a significant 3cm leg length difference, which explains the pronation of my right knee whilst cycling and difficultly standing (which I have had for years). As a result of this, I have things like hip weakness. 

Thankfully the bike fit has massively improved my back pain,  and I’ve been in the gym working on weaknesses as well as being seen by the physio, so hopefully I will be much more efficient and comfortable in the long run. So far I have been riding pain free, so I think I’m on my journey back to fitness for some racing in May! 

I’m extremely lucky to have the support Loughborough cycling academy has provided to conclude the cause of my pain, as I’m sure I would have done a lot more damage if I carried on the way I was, (Moral of the story, don’t ride through pain). 

I’m now looking forward to potential UCI races and a few National rounds in June/July with my new team AWOL O’Shea. I have a few months to get back to fitness all going well! 

Again I would like to thank pedal potential, Loughborough Cycling Academy and AWOL O’Shea for their support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

August Updates

 This month has been quite a busy one! I started the month of with a week of chilling and training at home after coming back from Kreiz Brei...